01. Why it is not possible to use the energy which is consumed?
02.List out the properties of a good source of energy?
03.What energy transformation takes place when we light a candle and drop a metal plate from a certain height?
04.What are fossil fuels?
05.What was the most common source of heat energy in ancient times?
06.What was the main source of energy during the industrial revolution?
07.Which fuel meets the growing demand of energy nowadays and the past?
08.What made us to look for alternative source of energy?
09.Why fossil fuels are called non-renewable sources of energy?
10. What are main disadvantages of using fossil fuels and how can we minimize it?
11. What causes acid rain?
12. What kind of gases are released while burning fossil fuels?
13. What energy transformation is done by a dynamo?
14. List out the different power plants from which we get electrical energy?
15. Explain how hydro and wind energies are the indirect sources of solar energy?
16. Why most of the thermal power plants are set near coal or oil mines?
17. Why hydro power plants are associated with dams?
18. Give the reason for the coining of the word thermal power plant?
19. Write the sequence of energy transformation taking place in the following places
a) Nuclear power plant b) Thermal power plant c) Hydro power plant d) Tidal power plant e) Geo-thermal power plant
20.Give few example for how our ancestors used the energy possessed by the wind and water.
21.Of the major requirement of different forms of energies write which one is the greater requirement of India and which is the least? What is the percentage of the hydro energy requirement of India?
22. Write the working of a hydro power plant with a neat diagram?
23. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using energy from water?
24. What are the limitations of constructing dams across rivers?
25. What is bio- mass and write few examples of bio mass?
26. How is charcoal formed and what are the advantages of using charcoal as a source of energy?
27. What is the Indian name of bio-gas and why is it called so?
28. What is the composition of bio-gas and the matter rich in the slurry left behind in the bio-gas plant?
29. With a neat diagram of a bio-gas plant write its construction and working?
30. What is the major disadvantage of bio-mass and how can it be
31. With a neat diagram of a wind mill write its construction and
32. What are the advantages and disadvantages of establishing wind mills?
33. What is a wind energy farm? How is the total output taken from it?
34. Write the differences between renewable and non-renewable
resources of energy.
35. Write a similarity and a dissimilarity between hydro energy and
36 Write a similarity and a dissimilarity between thermal energy and
37 nuclear energy.
38 How do nuclear energy and wind energy differ from each other and also write a similarity between them.
39 How much area is needed to construct a wind energy farm to meet out the energy demand produced by a nuclear reactor of power 3000MW if it doesn’t function?
40 What do you mean by backup facility and where do you require it?
41 There is nuclear reactor of power 300MW and a wind mill farm constructed in an area of 10 hectares. Calculate for how long the windmill farm should work continuously to give energy equal to the energy produced by the reactor if the reactor doesn’t function for one day?
42 There is a hydro power plant of power output 100MW and a wind mill farm in an area. If the wind mill takes 2 hours to produce energy equivalent to the energy produced by the hydro power plant in 30min calculate the area in which the wind mill farm is constructed?
43 In a day time a nuclear reactor produces 3600 X 106 J of energy. Calculate the time taken by a wind energy farm of area 4 hectares to produce that much of energy?
44 What is the major source of energy for the sun?
45 What nuclear reaction takes place in the sun?
46 What substance functions as the fuel for the sun?
47 For how long time our Sun will tend to supply energy from it?
48 What percentage of solar energy reaching the upper atmosphere of earth reaches the lower atmosphere? What happens to the rest?
49 Define solar constant and give its value on the upper atmosphere and on the lower atmosphere?
50 Draw the schematic picture a solar cooker?
51 How do you classify the solar energy devices ? and explain.
52 What energy transformation takes place in the solar cooker?
53 Write the different parts of a box type solar cooker
54 Write a short note on the construction of a box type of solar cooker.
55 Explain the working of a solar cooker.
56 What is the role of a glass sheet and black coated surface of a box type solar cooker?
57 What is the use of the plane mirror of a box type of solar cooker?
58 Which type of solar spectrum is trapped in the solar cooker?
59 You are given the following wavelengths. Read them carefully and answer the following questions:
500nm, 800nm, 900nm
a) Of the following which one is emitted by a hotter body?
b) Of the following which lies in the visible spectrum?
c) Of the following which one can be trapped in the box type solar cooker?
60 To achieve higher temperature what is done in some solar cookers?
61 What solar water heaters? And what principle is used in their working?
62 What is a solar cell?
63 What are the advantages and disadvantages of a solar cell?
64 What energy transformation takes place in a solar cell?
65 What are the limitations of using solar cell?
66 What factors make a solar cell very expensive?
67 What are the uses of solar cells?
68 What is the potential difference and power generated by a typical solar cell?
69 What is a solar panel?
70 What are the different forms of energies available from the oceans?
71 What is the cause for the tides on the ocean? (or) how are tides formed?
72 How do you harness tidal energy?
73 How wave energy is an indirect form of solar energy?
74 What are the limitations of harnessing wave energy?
75 What is ocean thermal energy and how is it harnessed?
76 What is OTEC?
77 What is the minimum requirement to operate the OTEC system?
78 How is electricity generated from Ocean Thermal Energy?
79 What is Geo-thermal energy?
80 List out the energies that are dependent and non-dependent of solar energy?
81 What are hot spots?
82 Why hot spots are important in harnessing Geo-thermal energy?
83 How is electricity generated from Geo-thermal energy?
84 Name a few cites where geothermal energy is harnessed?
85 What are the limitations of harnessing Geo-thermal energy?
86 What are the advantages and disadvantages of Geo-thermal energy?
87 What are the different type of nuclear reactions?
88 Define nuclear fission and fusion reactions.
89 Compare the energy produced by combustion of an atom of carbon to that of fission of uranium 235
90 What is a nuclear chain reaction?
91 Explain how electricity is generated from a nuclear reactor?
92 From where does a nuclear fission reaction give out energy? And which physical reaction helps us in computing the energy produced by the reaction?
93 What is called “Eiensteins mass energy relationship”
94 How many Joules make one electron volt
95 How much energy is released by one atomic mass unit of substance?
96 What is the major hazard of nuclear power generation?
97 What are advantages and disadvantages of nuclear reactors?
98 What makes large-scale use of nuclear energy prohibitive?
99 On what factors the source of energy that we choose depends on?
100 Why any source of energy has less consequence? Explain your answer with suitable example.